– 700g (1½ lb) chopped ripe tomatoes – the riper the better
– 1 cucumber peeled and chopped
– 2 green peppers or 1 red and 1 green pepper, chopped
– 3 cloves garlic
– 225g (8 oz) brown bread crumbs
– 5 tbsps red wine vinegar
– 5 tabsps olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 500ml (1 pint) water
- Put all the ingredients into a large bowl, mix them up and leave to soak for 30 minutes or so.
- Put batches of the mix into a blender – adding more water if necessary – and liquidise until smooth.
- Chill for at least an hour before eating.
- Before serving add ice-cubes and if necessary more water.
[September - October]