– 125g soft butter
– 150g soft brown sugar (I used molasses sugar, but the sandy brown stuff works just as well)
– 1 large egg
– 150g plain flour
– 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (actually I used self-raising flour instead & it seemed to be ok)
– 150g chocolate chips
– 100g blackcurrants
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F and lightly grease a large flat baking tray.
- Mix the soft butter and sugar until they are smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg and keep beating the mixture until it is light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into the bowl and fold in gently with a metal spoon.
- Add the blackcurrants and chocolate and stir in gently.
- Put dessert-spoon sized dollops of the mixture wide apart on the baking tray. You may need to do two batches.
- Check after 8 minutes – they may need 10. Carefully remove from the baking tray and put on a wire rack to cool.
Variation: Why not try replacing the chocolate chips with 100g of chopped hazelnuts.