– 175g (6 oz) brown sugar
– 175g (6 oz) softened butter
– 175g (6 oz) self raising flour
– 3 free range eggs
– 4 apples
– 25g (1 oz) demerara sugar
– ½ tsp cinnamon
– Optional: 100g toasted hazelnuts
- Preheat the over to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light. Add the eggs, beating well. Sift the flour into the bowl, folding through quickly.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into slices but kept together in halves.
- Spoon the cake mixture into a greased baking dish and arrange the sliced apples on top without pressing down.
- Sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon and – if using – the hazelnuts over the apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the topping is golden and the apple is tender.
[October - December]