– 800g (2 lb) pumpkin or squash
– 100g (4 oz) walnut halves
– Peppery green leaves such as rocket
– 1 large garlic bulb
– Olive oil
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Peel and deseed the pumpkin/squash and cut it into small chunks. Break the garlic into cloves, but don’t peel them. Put the pumpkin/squash and garlic on a baking tray and toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until the pumpkin/squash is soft and just browning at the edges – it may take up to an hour, but check after 30 minutes.
- Place the walnut halves in a separate dish and put them in the oven for the last 10 minutes of the pumpkin/squash cooking time to toast them lightly.
- Toss the walnuts with the roasted pumpkins/squash and garlic.
- Put the leaves in a large salad bowl. Scatter the pumpkin/squash, garlic and walnuts on top.
- Serve straight away with some slivers or Parmesan on top.
[October - November]