– 400g (14 oz) Swiss chard
– Knob of butter
– 100g (4 oz) couscous
– 50g (2 oz) fresh Parmesan cheese
– 2 garlic cloves
– Salt and pepper
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 100ml vegetable stock
- Chop the chard and steam for 5-10 minutes until tender then remove the excess water by pressing in a colander.
- Finely chop the garlic and sauté in hot oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Poor 100ml (scant ¼ pint) of vegetable stock into a saucepan and add the couscous and butter. Bring to the boil stirring continuously and remove from the head. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Mix the garlic, chard and couscous together, add salt and pepper to taste, and place in a shallow warmed heatproof dish.
- Grate the Parmesan and sprinkle evenly over the surface. Place under a medium hot grill for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
[April - May]