– 100g (4oz) soft butter
– 100g (4oz) caster sugar
– 2 large free range eggs
– 100g (4oz) self raising flour, sifted
– 500g (1lb) rhubarb
– 3cm (1?) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
– 80g (3oz) sugar
- Heat oven to 180°C / gas mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at time, beating well.
- Sift flour into a bowl and fold in quickly and gently.
- Cut rhubarb stalks into 3cm (1?) lengths.
- Arrange in a buttered 1 litre baking dish and scatter with grated ginger and sugar.
- Spoon mixture on top of fruit and bake for 50-60 minutes until the topping is golden and rhubarb is tender.
[March - June]