- 400g (scant 1 lb) rhubarb
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons demerera sugar
- 60g (2 oz) unsalted butter
- 90g (3 oz) plain flour
- 30g (1 oz) demerera sugar
- 60g (2 oz) chopped hazelnuts
The orange zest and hazelnuts aren’t essential but make it even more delicious! As an alternative you could use almonds.
- 120g (4oz) softened unsalted butter
- 120g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 120g (4oz) self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5.
- Grease a 9″ (22cm) cake tin.
- Prepare the rhubarb
- Chop the rhubarb into 1/2″ (1cm) cubes and put in a bowl.
- Gently stir in the demerara sugar and orange zest.
- Prepare the topping
- Sift the flour into a bowl.
- Add the butter, chopped into small cubes and rub in until the mixture looks like chunky breadcrumbs.
- Roughly stir in the demerera sugar.
- Make the cake
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light.
- Add the eggs, beating well.
- Sift the flour into the bowl, folding through quickly.
- Assemble the cake
- Spoon the cake mixture into the tin.
- Arrange the rhubarb evenly over the cake mixture.
- Spoon the crumble mixture onto the rhubarb.
- Sprinkle on the nuts.
Bake for 60 minutes but check after 40.
The orange zest and hazelnuts aren't essential but make it even more delicious