In the run up to the election, Low Carbon West Oxford, together with Low Carbon Oxford North, has contacted the parliamentary candidates for West Oxford and Abingdon to ask them the following questions about climate issues and improving energy efficiency:
Questions to candidates
- Does your party accept the need to leave 80% of the world’s known fossil fuels reserves in the ground? How does this affect your policies?
- Does your party approve of fracking in England and do you support it in Oxfordshire?
- Should Oxford West and Abingdon become a Zero Carbon Community by 2050? If so, what would be your top three policies to achieve this?
- How would you significantly reduce carbon emissions from transport and personal travel in Oxford West and,
- Do you think your party should have polices to improve the energy efficiency of 500,000 homes of the fuel poor a year to Band C on the EPC scale? If not, what level of ambition should you have? What policies would you introduce to achieve this and how will they be funded?
Answers from candidates
The others will be added when we receive them. We plan to share the answers both with our supporters and more widely.
Other local groups who have published their questions to candidates and/or answers from candidates have made them available on the Oxford EcoHustings website.
We’ll be following up with a Climate Hustings in the Assembly Room at the Oxford Town Hall on Tuesday 28 April from 7.30 pm. Please join us, and pass on this message to any interested voters.