The waste reduction projects aim to reduce waste through the reduction, re-use, sharing and recycling of products. Activities include:
- Running our hugely popular Bring and Takes – one person’s junk is another person’s treasure
- Distributing free cotton bags to local residents
- Working with local shop holders to reduce use of plastic bags
- Plus: litter picks; swishing; education and awareness raising; reusing old plastic bags to make arts and crafts, and new stronger bags
The fabulous biannual Bring & Take
LCWO held its first Bring & Take event in 2009, and has held two every year since. Each one attracts 200+ people, and over 2000 items are swapped.
This leads to an estimated 1.53 tonnes of CO2 emissions avoided / 1 tonne waste / 740kg diverted from landfill!
Find out when the next one is coming up on our calendar.
Wondering what a Bring & Take looks like?
Some other projects to date
- The group previously won a grant from Oxford Council to conduct a plastic bag survey in the area with a view to reducing their use in the locality. During that year, it held 2 well-attended Bring and Takes, as well as organising a successful litter pick.
- In 2009, the group received a small grant to distribute a sticker which says ‘Take me with you’ to every household in West Oxford, which people can stick on their front door or car to remind them to take their reusable shopping bags with them.