Jul 2020: this page is being updated, so check back soon!
The waste reduction projects aim to reduce waste through the reduction, re-use, sharing and recycling of products. Activities include:
- Running our hugely popular Bring and Takes – one person’s junk is another person’s treasure! (all BRING & TAKES postponed for the foreseeable future due to Coronavirus, but crossing fingers for spring 2021)
- Running our annual ‘Beet the Waste’ food and music festival at Tap Social (BtW 2020 postponed due to Coronavirus), in partnership with Oxford Food Bank
- Distributing reusable bamboo sporks (to avoid single use plastic cutlery) and in the past, free cotton bags to local residents
- Actively showcasing fun creative projects which make lovely USEFUL things from stuff which would otherwise be thrown away e.g. our smelly socks (lavender stuffed odd socks, collected at the Bring & Take), and the infamous LCWO ear gong (must be heard to be believed…) ** check out our growing collection of favourite waste-to-useful-funky-thing ideas here! **
- Plus: litter picks; swishing; education and awareness raising; reusing old plastic bags to make arts and crafts, and new stronger bags; working with local shop holders to reduce use of plastic bags
The fabulous biannual Bring & Take
LCWO held its first Bring & Take event in 2009, and has held two every year since. Each one attracts 200+ people, and 1000+ items are swapped.
This leads to an estimated 1.53 tonnes of CO2 emissions avoided / 1 tonne waste / 740kg diverted from landfill!